Saturday, August 16, 2008

How can anyone be so inconsiderate?

So...as you all know Tristan went with the Ex this past week. They went to the Ex's new gf's sister's house just outside of New York and then I guess they went into the City for a day to see some sights. We don't know the extent of the trip yet becuase when Trist does call, it's conveniently placed in a time that they are running out the door, or have to "get off the phone" to eat dinner or whatever. So Treec got a text about 9:00pm last night that says "the flight we were supposed to be taking home is full" "I will keep you posted". Treec instantly get's upset (of course) and we have to talk though how things are out of our control, and we'll just have to take things in stride. Well this morning Trist calls, and I answer the call (Treec wasn't able to answer)and we chat for a minute. I say to him "hey buddy, what's your favorite part of your trip so far...(he tells me petting a goat at a park) I sure can't wait to see you tonight!" and he says "our flight is full and there's nothing we can do about it". So I say, "well, when are you coming home?" and his little voice says "I don't know, gotta go now bye" and he hangs up. So Treec finally get's to the phone were she has a text from the Ex saying that the flights today and tomorrow morning are full, so they have to fly to Vegas tomorrow night, and then fly home monday evening. I could litterally see the smoke billowing out of her ears! She calls the Ex and proceeds to get more and more upset, finding out that "they didn't do this on purposed, but they are flying standby to save money and the flights are all full, there is nothing they can do about it". So I head downstairs to my laptop, where I proceed to find out that there are 3 flights left on todays flight home, but that tomorrows flights are completely sold out. Treec may have not thought to look into the Ex's story to find out of it was true...but I sure as hell wasn't about to take her word for it! Why can't people be honest? Why does she have to lie, manipulate, and abuse the situation. So when Treec tried to call back to confront her on the flights...of course she conveniently doesn't answer her phone, and she has it set so you can't leave a voicemail. Makes us both want to fly to New York right now and pick him up ourselves!

Even with all the people that I know that have "joint custody" or have been taken away from their kids all together, and as sad as that makes me, the Ex's behavior would be what makes people like Treec think twice before she allows her son, her pride and joy, to be in a position of such inconsiderate dishonesty! She's abusing her rights as a co-parent and using Tristan as a pawn in her games. It's ugly and very wrong!

I do know this...Treec will NEVER let her take him on vacation again without knowing she has a ticket in hand with an exact time of arrival...none of this standby shit!

It's just really sad to me, because Treec trusted the Ex with her son, and this is how she repays that trust.

SAD...

TTFN

4 comments:

K J and the kids said...

I don't want to try and defend her ex's behavior...but I do want to point something out as a person who has flown her fair share of standby flights and has worked in the travel industry for A LOT of years.
You can pull a flight up and it may show that there are 10 seats available. That is because the airlines over book flights expecting no-shows. I have seen them overbook as many as 20 seats. As a person who is flying standby those numbers that we can pull up on our computers at home have nothing to do with whether they are going to let us get on the flight.
Plus, there are 3 of them and there is a priority in which stand by passengers fly. So even if three of those seats open up...they may give 2 of them to someone with more priority and that only leaves 1 seat which isn't enough.

I agree that taking a child on a standby flight is probably not the smartest thing to do....but Tristan sounds like he's having a good time. I'll bet he had a blast in the big apple.
I'm sure Patrice can't wait to get her arms around him. I'm sorry that she misses him so much. I do understand how that must feel.
He'll be home safe and sound very soon ! :)

TooeleTwins said...

I just think that flying standby with anyone younger than about 15 is asking for trouble because how can you possibly keep them occupied and happy? Traveling is exhausting enough already! And, I wouldn't fly on the weekend if I could help it because it's too busy. BUT, he'll be home soon, so just try to enjoy the extra time together and plan something great for his first night home..... Good luck.

Ky said...

I know how much even a day matters to a parent who has been away from their child. Hell, I count the minutes that pass when I wait for the handoff to see my kids again. Dishonesty or not, Treece is feeling let down and that can't be a fun place to be. I'll be crossing my fingers that they get on a flight soon and he can be home safe and sound.

Merr said...

Dang that sucks so bad. I hope I never have to be in those shoes ever!