Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Cape

The last few days Tristan has been on a "cape" kick...he must have a cape with bats on it, not a "Batman" cape per say, but a cape with bats on it. So him and Patrice were off to the fabric stores to find the fabric. Black shiney satiny felt like fabric for one side, and bright orange cotton fabric for the other side, the orange fabric which adorns black bats...Tristans favorite animal. He was so excited he could hardly wait to show it to me.
The last two days have been spent trying to figure out how to sew the damn thing together. Patrice pulled her sewing machine out of the deepest darkest corner of the basement and attempted to thread the machine with black thread. She called me a little while later to come help her fix the damn thing because she couldn't get the bobbin to go back into the bottom of the machine. My mom and dad are both very established and amazingly beautiful quilters, I however haven't a clue how to even sew a button back on a shirt...so for me to even tinker with a sewing machine was almost laughable...but what the heck, I will try anything to help my girl out.
So a little while into it, I get the whole thing back together, get the thread threaded threw all the little cracks and crevasses and turn it on...the little wheel will spin, but the needle wont go up and down...I wanted to throw the damn thing! Then I wanted to run out to the nearest sewing machine establishment and purchase a new one that I could sit and read the whole instruction manual and know exactly how to sew. Cause that is what I do, when I get anything new, I am a manual reader! But we were late, had to get to softball...WHICH WE KICKED SOME ASS I MIGHT ADD! Great game! WOO HOO.

So anyway...small tangent, I decided this afternoon to go pick up Tristan from day care a little early, took his little helmet and drove the Vespa to pick the little man up. He was so excited when I picked him up, he ran straight over and jumped into my arms and goes "did you bring my helmet?" Well of course, do you think his Mother would allow me to pick him up without having a helmet, shoulder pads, knee pads, elbow pads, a rope to tie him to me and to the scooter all to drive on back roads about 3 blocks down the road....HA HA HA okay smallish exadurations. (how the hell do you spell that word? WHAT THE!) But yes, I brought his helmet. So we get back to my place and we decide to watch Boomerang (the greatest channel on Directv, just ask Tristan) and share a cantelope. When Tree-c got home it wasn't long until he started asking about his Cape again...so now back to the story.

So I had called my cousin Tina, who loves to sew (not really sure that she does "love it", but she can sew, and I knew it, so I called her) and was thrilled that we wanted to come over and visit and have her help Tree-c with the cape.

They DID amazing! By the time we left Tina's house, the cape was sewn, Tristan and Cameron (Tina's youngest) were thoroughly exhausted from running up and down all their stairs, and Tristan decided we needed to buy Tina's house..."come on Heid, we have enough money for it, i'm serious". He says the funniest things sometimes. Tina and her family are actually moving and putting their home on the market in the near future. Hmmm...we'll have to see.

So tomorrow is "show-n-tell" at Kindergarten...his last comment before I got out of the car "what if they think my cape is dumb?" "Buddy...your cape is awesome, and even if no one else likes it, you do, and that is all that matters!" That seemed to ease his mind...we'll see what tomorrow brings!

I will add a photo soon...

TTFN

1 comment:

Kim aka Mommy said...

Cute cape story. How'd it go at show-n-tell?