Monday, September 17, 2007

You Might Be a Redneck!












So this weekend we had the opportunity to do alot of fun things, agian! I swear, one of these weekends, I am just going to say we stayed home and did nothing, and boy will that be a great blog! :) HA HA...but this weekend we started it off friday night by me cooking dinner, t-bone steaks, fresh trout that we caught on one of our fishing trips this summer, and corn on the cob. It was delicious if I do say so myself. Even Tristan, who normally belly-aches for chicken nuggets and ranch dressing no matter what I attempt to cook for him, LOVED dinner! WOO HOO...success. Saturday morning I had to work for a couple of hours, but then we went up to the zoo to see what the cooler temperatures of fall would bring. Again, success, the bears were out and playing, the gorillas were rolling around, and the white aligator even popped it's head out of the water, prior to saturday, we hadn't even seen it move a muscle. So we had a great afternoon at the zoo!
Saturday night brought an event that I had never partaken of. Please excuse me if I offend, but I have never had the opportunity to see the type of people that we saw saturday night ever before, and I honestly laughed out loud at some of the behaviors of these people.
Some friends of mine from down in Provo and I have been talking all summer long about how we hear the roaring of engines (and it's louder in person...not that Tristan minded as you can see, he fell asleep)as the Rocky Mt Raceway holds their (it seems) nightly rituals of oval races, figure 8's, and straight track races. I had never been, although had threatened many a time to cut my hair back into my 80's and then some mullet and head on over to the races. Let me just say that the exhiliration of cars crashing into each other, and the roar of the engine so loud you could barely hear the person next to you is pretty darn fun! But the women of the races crack my shit up...let me splain (in the best mustered up Ricky Ricardo voice I have). So were sitting there, watching a 100 lap oval race. About every 2-3 laps there would be a random car bumping into another car to try to get better position, and I guess this isn't allowed and some people get a little testy when this type of action is made. The women in the stands would flip this driver off as he rounded the curve, they would cuss and hollar at him as if he could hear them. This group we were watching was obviously family and close friends of the driver being bumped...I guess he just had to keep a certain position, not even win the race to be the champion of the whole year. So they were a rootin! Each time (100 laps) he would round by us, they would hoot and hollar. They would cheer and hug at him keeping his position. The the white flag comes out, last lap, he's going to do it...the checkered flag comes out, he takes 5th (I think) but one position in front of this other car that was in battle for the championship. Next thing I know, one lady is falling over faint, she is hugging everyone, bawling with joy, the she stops, takes a knee, and seems to be about to puke. The driver pulls around near the group and reaches his arm out with a woo hoo cheer and they clap and cheer. "Unofficially, car ?? has just taken the championship" they cry, they cheer, and the driver flips some 360's in his car, squeeling tires and burning rubber, literally! WOW...I imagine it was a little like when Brandi Chastain ripped her shirt off after winning the National Championship in the Women's World Cup Soccer game a few years ago...okay, for me, not as exciting, but I imagine for these women, it was that exciting! :) It was just a new experience for me...but one I would go enjoy again...that's for sure. Tristan and I were able to do the chicken dance for Lagoon tickets, but sadly didn't win. I will throw in some photos of that too. Oh yeah, and we ran into Sum, Mer, and Cam who were also at their virgin experience at the Races too! :)
Today we got up, Tristan and I made breakfast, we watched a movie, then packed a lunch and headed up Millcreek Canyon for a picnic and a small little hike. The leaves are turning, the canyon is beautiful with the fall colors...one of the many reasons I love Utah in the fall. Enjoy the photos...and we'll catch you again soon!

TTFN

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a fun and exciting weekend.. Very cute pictures.. You go.... Little cooking, chicken dancer.. LOL

Ky said...

Sounds like one of our weekends! I haven't recovered enough to even blog about ours! Looks like you had a lot of fun. I love the pics. Hope we see you soon!

K J and the kids said...

HOW IN THE HELL DID THAT KID SLEEP THROUGH THE RACING :)
Glad you had a good time. :)

Merr said...

Man that kid can sleep through anything! It was SO LOUD there. It was a lot of fun watching the races and the people! We'll have to definately go again.